A beautiful combination of strawberry and apricots, with chocolatey undertones from the cacao butter. A deliciously healthy twist on an old favourite – Apricot delights!
Commercial Apricot delights
Apricot delights are a personal favourite of mine. As a kid they were the healthy treat I got in my school lunchbox. I was allowed to eat as many of these as I liked, because after all they were good for me…they’re just apricots, aren’t they?
I was quite shocked when I bought a packet of apricot delights and found out that apricot delights aren’t just apricots after all.
Let’s have a look at what they’re actually made from.
Golden Days Apricot Delights
Apricots 50%, Sugar, Glucose Syrup (Derived from Corn), Vegetable Oil, Acidity Regulator: (330), Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin), Corn Starch, Natural Colour: (160b), Natural Flavour, Preservative: (220).
A lot of sugar and numbers in there. Not to mention the soy and vegetable oil!
Now, let’s take a look at my recipe for strawberry and apricot delights
Strawberry and apricot delights
Dried apricots, strawberries (fresh/dried), dessicated coconut, cacao butter.
Hmmm not to shabby!
Real fruit, no additives, preservatives or sugar. These apricot delights are yummy and just, well…..berry good for you!
Because I know sometimes we can’t always get the ingredients that we need, forget to buy some of the ingredients (ahem); or I’ve just found a few toothsome alternatives that you might like to try!
Can’t find dried strawberries?
Add another 1/2 cup of dessicated coconut
No cacao butter?
Again add an extra 1/2 cup of dessicated coconut.
Want to go a little nuts?
Add 1/2 of raw macadamias to the recipe. This tastes amazing but I wanted to keep the standard recipe allergy free.
Makes approximately 40 squares
- 250g apricots
- 250g fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup melted cacao butter (20g solid cacao)
- 1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup dried strawberries
- 1/2 raw macadamias (activated is best), (optional)
- Extra desiccated coconut for coating finished strawberry and apricot delights.
- Roughly chop apricots and fresh strawberries. Place in saucepan and add water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for approximately 10mins until the mixture forms a soft paste. Leave to cool.
- In a food processor, combine strawberry and apricot mixture with all other ingredient and blend until well combined.
- Line a baking dish (mine was approximately 23 by 18) with baking paper. Pour out mixture and spread evenly into baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to set.
- Once set turn the mixture out onto a board and cut into squares. Dust with extra desiccated coconut. Refrigerate.
This recipe was lovingly adapted from the Green Gourmet Giraffe http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com.au